soooo its my birthday

So, its my birthday. At least for the next hour and a half its still my birthday. Perhaps I'll milk the non-accomplishment of getting another year older through the weekend though. "but its my birthday...." seems to get people out of doing things they don't want. Recently my husband said when we arrived our friend's first home to check it out...
"its so nice to congratulate people on something they've accomplished, unlike a birthday."

I suppose I accomplished staying alive for 28 years. For those who know how accident prone I am, it can probably be deemed an accomlishment. Perhaps I should give gifts to my parents on my birthday, especially mom. you know, for the whole birth thing.

As I get older I find it hard to enjoy my birthday. Its not the fact that I'm getting older, I don't mind that too much when I really think about it. I find there is too much pressure. what to do. what do I want. If I say, 'read a book and nothing please', it doesn't actually go over well. And if I were to receive a gift, I wouldn't turn it away.

Today I worked for an hour longer then I should have. I split take out with my hubby. We went to go see a very funny movie (Dinner For Shmucks). It doesn't sound like a lot, but it was a nice day. Perhaps I'll see some friends and family over the weekend while not at work and drink some wine and catch up.

So, what I really want to know is...do you like your birthday? how do you like to celebrate? is there a secret to enjoying the attention?

2 comments:

  1. didn't we have this discussion last year? or was that someone else? no, a birthday isn't an accomplishment, but it is a day for all the people who love you to get a reason to celebrate you! it's awkward for most people to call someone up (or write on their facebook wall) and say "hey, i love you and care about you and i'm really glad you were born"

    it would be nice if that wasn't so weird, but that's life!

    i don't like my birthday because mainly people don't remember it the day of - they always think it's the 31st and my in-laws forget just about every year

    i try to let that go, because it's just not useful

    when i worked away from home i would call in sick and have a day to myself, now i just remind my partner "but it's my birthday" when a chore comes up that i don't want to do - i can usually get a weeks worth of favours from him before it gets old!

    ReplyDelete
  2. every year i say to myself that i'm just going to spend my birthday with my mom at her place and maybe watch a movie with her...and then, every year when my birthday is coming up, my friends ask me what i want to do for it, when i tell them that i dont really want to do anything for it, they get pissy and say that i should spend time with my friends on my birthday (i guess it's a good thing to have friends who want to hang out with me, so i shouldnt complain) but, it always seems like i'm the one who has to organize everything, i'm the one who makes the stupid facebook event page, i'm the one who invites everyone, and i'm the one who gets grief from my single (and well, even some that arent single) friends, that there arent enough girls there...shouldnt it be me who hooks up with a girl on my birthday anyhow? i mean, i'm 31 and i've NEVER had the joy of birthday sex!!!!!!! and if they want more/different people there, why the hell didnt they invite people

    my birthday always seems like too much of a hassle for me, its like a chore that i dont get thanked for doing, and i usually dont have a good time at all, all i want to do is spend a day with the woman who was there from the very start and all i end up doing is having people bitch at me all day

    gahhhh, sorry, i was ranting there

    but yeah, i'm noticing that all of your posts end with a question...this is a very good idea, but i do find myself feeling obliged to answer it when i read it, no matter how old the post is...but perhaps that was the whole point

    oh, and why are all of the words that come up for the post verification thing i have to do, gibberish?

    ReplyDelete