kind life-kind diet

diet: (noun) a way of living, or thinking, a day's journey. "This was the definition of diet when it entered the english language in the 1600s. So simple. So sane. How did this cute little word become synonymous with deprivation, starving and - let's be honest - total hell?" ~Alicia Silverstone: the kind diet
I have started reading Alcia Silverstone's book "the Kind Diet: A Simple Guide to feeling great, losing weight, and saving the planet." Its a refreshing book, its honest and full of information. Some that most people would rather not know, some I already knew, others I didn't. I didn't make this blog to preach about a vegan diet, but I will post a few tidbits of information that I found interesting. And I seriously suggest going to thekindlife.com .
The community there is full of information, recipes and support whether you are flirting the idea of being a vegetarian or vegan, if you are a vegan, or if you eat a superhero diet.

I was happy to come across a table on information in this book that helps me easily answer a question that is commonly asked to me. "if you don't eat dairy, where do you get your calcium?"

Calcium Milligrams (per 100gram serving)

butter: 20
whole milk: 118
chick peas: 150
collard greens: 203
parsley: 203
soybeans: 226
almonds: 234
sesame seeds: 1, 160
hijiki sea vegetable: 1,400

1 comment:

  1. not to even mention soy milk? Just because I don't drink cows milk doesn't mean I'm not getting the food I need. LOL

    I think people are just afraid of what they don't know or understand.

    ReplyDelete